For the people who don’t know what Dragon Boat really is. Sport based on a big boats, which fits up to 20 people, who are seated on a bench. One person on the right and one on the left, both rowing with a rhythm that the drummer in the front gives. In less words, anyone can do it and it’s real fun, giving you the muscles you need!
Here are some facts about the origin of Dragon Boat and the sport itself:
1. The idea of rowing the dragon boat is derived from the ancient sacrificial activities in the south of China to pray for a kind climate and the best weather.
2.The earliest record of “Dragon Boat” in the Chinese language can be found in an ancient book in the Pre-Qin Period.
3. Dragon Boat has no age limit.
4. Dragon boat racing has been practiced continuously since this period as the basis for annual water rituals and festival celebrations and for the traditional veneration of the Chinese dragon water deity.
5. Dragons were traditionally believed to be the rulers of water on earth: rivers, lakes, and seas; they also were thought to dominate the waters of the heavens: clouds, mists, and rains.
6. The pulsation of the drum beats produced by the drummer may be considered the “heartbeat” of the dragon boat.
7.The IDBF has organized World Nations Dragon Boat Racing Championships (WDBRC) for Representative National or Territorial teams every two years since 1995.
8. Not many people used to know about Dragon Boat, but slowly slowly its becoming more and more recognised around the world.
9. It’s a sport that works on every muscle on your body.
10. Last but not least, this sport is for everyone. Its fun, loving and creative!
Stay with us and learn about Cyprus and international Dragon Boat news!